DIAL/SELF AmeriCorps is now accepting applications for AmeriCorps Members for the 2017-2018 service year. The application deadline is April 15th, 2017. Applicants who apply by that date will have priority and a higher chance of being matched with the program.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE APPLICATION
Creativity ~ Collaboration ~ Respect ~ Inclusivity ~ Integrity ~ Positive Youth Development
Supporting young people
Building diverse leadership
DIAL/SELF AmeriCorps Members use a collaborative, student-centered approach to support young people's autonomy, belonging and personal learning aspirations. They use arts and experiential learning activities to create spaces where young people can develop meaningful goals, drive their own solutions, make decisions, fail, learn and grow.
Established in 1996, DIAL/SELF AmeriCorps partners with area schools and youth-serving agencies to create innovative full-time service opportunities throughout the Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts. We serve a geographic area that spans from Greenfield to Springfield, from rural to urban settings. For 10 months each academic year, DIAL/SELF AmeriCorps Members build meaningful relationships with young people that become the basis for learning and growth for all involved. Members use creative methods, positive youth development, and motivational interviewing to inspire young people's sense of self-efficacy and investment in their own learning.
The DIAL/SELF AmeriCorps program has three core elements:
- On-site youth work
- Community team service project
- Weekly workshops in areas such as youth work best practices, multiple intelligences, integrating the arts into learning environments, motivational interviewing, conflict resolution, positive youth development, social justice issues, civic engagement, group facilitation, life after AmeriCorps and asset-based community development.
How DIAL/SELF Members Benefit
In return for 1700 hours of service (completed in 10-months), DIAL/SELF Members:
- Earn a compensation package of up to $18,815, including personal/sick days. (Package includes a Stipend of up to $13,000 and Segal Education Award of up to $5,815. The Education Award can be used to pay for pre-existing student loans or future education.)
- Members receive free health care and child care as needed.
- Members can opt to forebear their student loan repayment during their service. Any interest that accrues during that 10-months will be paid.
- Gain practical experience and build leadership skills that transfer across careers and vocations, particularly those related to education, youth work, the arts, social justice, nonprofits, social work and community work.
- Make connections that lead to future opportunities in the region and beyond. Check out these testimonials from former DIAL/SELF AmeriCorps members.
- Participate in a supportive learning community that challenges Members to build on their strengths and put their values into practice.
DIAL/SELF encourages people of all backgrounds and social identities to apply! DIAL/SELF makes reasonable accommodations for service and interviews.
DIAL/SELF AmeriCorps is now accepting applications for AmeriCorps Members for the 2017-2018 service year. Click here to download the application. The term begins August 24th, 2017 and runs through June 24th, 2018.
Special Note: DIAL/SELF AmeriCorps could not exist without our incredible network of partner schools and organizations throughout the Pioneer Valley.
Current and Former Site Partners Include: Amherst Middle School, Amherst High School, Athol-Royalston Middle School, Baystate-Springfield Educational Partnership, Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Franklin and Hampshire Counties, The Brick House Community Resource Center, The Children's Study Home, Community Action Youth Programs, Community Coalition for Teens, Community Music School of Springfield, CONNECTIONS, DIAL/SELF Youth & Community Servicies, Four Rivers Public Charter School, Franklin-Hampshire Regional Employment Board, Gandara Center, Gill-Montague School Department, Greenfield YMCA, Greenfield High School, Greenfield Recreation Department and Youth Center, Greenfield School Department, Hampshire Educational Collaborative, Hilltown Cooperative Charter School, Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, Montague Elementary, Montague Catholic Social Ministries, Northeast Center for Youth & Families, North Star Self-Directed Learning for Teens, Paulo Freire Social Justice Charter School, Pioneer Valley Habitat for Humanity, Safe Schools Safe Streets Coalition, Project Coach, ServiceNet, Smith Vocational and Agricultural High School, Tapestry Health Systems, United Arc, Upward Bound - Northfield Mount Hermon, Young Entrepreneurs' Society and Youth Action Coalition.
New in 2014, DIAL/SELF AmeriCorps partnered with Northfield Mount Hermon's Upward Bound program to create a 12-member intensive residential Summer Corps in support of Upward Bound's Summer Leadership Academy. Please contact us for more details.
DIAL/SELF AmeriCorps serves the comunities of Western Massachusetts in partnership with the Mass Service Alliance and the Corporation for National and Community Service. Thank you!
The Member Coordinator of the DIAL/SELF AmeriCorps Program is Allison Scott. Allison can be reached at 413-774-7054 ext. 101 or email@example.com.
Illustrating a picture of early adolescence
Andrea, Jackie, Marina and Edwin from Corps 2015